You can use any of the following methods or even a combination of them to prevent mice from coming into your kitchen:
- Prevention is better than the cure: The first and the foremost thing that can be done is to seal all those possible openings through which rodents like mice can enter your kitchen. They mainly choose to enter your house through openings underneath your sink, or through small openings behind the AC or chimney. It is always better to seal all these openings first. Even if you hire a pest control technician, he will first inspect your house to find out the possible entry points of these rodents and close them.
- Snap Traps: Once you have sealed all the possible openings the next thing to do is to set up
traps for these rodents. One of the most common and traditional type of trap used is the snap trap. A mouse generally tends to run through the wall. So, set these traps on the path of the rodents. Place food material inside these traps to attract the mouse. When the mouse tries to eat this food material, a metal bar snaps and the mouse gets trapped inside and gets killed. Then you can dispose of these dead rodents.
- Glue Traps: Another common method that is followed is the use of glue traps. This special glue is placed in the path of mouse travel. Once the mouse steps on this glue, the adhesive surface will trap the mouse. Once the mouse gets trapped, it can’t move its body and also can’t maintain its body temperature. This leads to the killing of mouse because of hypothermia.
- Mouse Repellents: The main logic behind using this technique is to force the mouse to stay away from its main source of food. For applying this technique, you will have to do a detailed study to find out the main source of food in your kitchen on which the mice rely. After this, you can either spray a liquid repellent or apply the electronic repellent around this source. By doing this they will not be able to survive and nest further, forcing them to stay away from your kitchen.
- Live Traps: Although this is not an effective approach, many people who do not like to harm or kill any creature prefer to use this approach. There are traps available in the market, using which you can catch the mouse alive and then release them away from your house. But this approach does not guarantee that the mouse will not return.
So, instead of being reactive, be proactive by inspecting your house regularly to eliminate the mice, so that you can lead a healthy and peaceful life.